Law is undisputedly one of the most prestigious professions in Nigeria, if you’ve found yourself here you must be at a decision making point or maybe just sourcing for information on a career path. Firstly let’s delve into the academic qualification needed to gain admission into a Nigerian university to study law.
· Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) popularly referred to as JAMB, prospective candidates should have scored above the minimum score for law in their respective university.
· O'Level results should be obtained with a minimum of five (5) passes in the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE or Equivalent) in not more than two (2) sittings. These exams are conducted by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) or the National Examinations Council (NECO) and these five (5) passes must include Mathematics, English Language and other courses relevant to law from the respective university
· Post-UTME after fulfilling the two requirements above, an Aptitude test is conducted by the university referred to as Post-UTME.
· Requirements for Direct Entry include Very good passes in the Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board subjects (Literature-in-English and two other subjects, one or both from social science/Art Subjects). First Degree (Second Class Upper or lower Division). Two ‘A’ Level papers in any subject plus UTME requirements.
Let’s assume all the above requirements have already been sorted out but you’re still asking yourself why you should study law in Nigeria. Apart from the obvious problems we have in Nigeria’s Educational system, which boils down to foundational issues, studying law in Nigeria is and will always be one of the best options you have especially if you want to practice the Noble Profession in Nigeria, why don’t we delve into reasons why you should study law in Nigeria?
· COST: let’s face it, the cost of schooling in Nigeria is cheaper than you would find in most foreign countries, and this is just tuition not to talk of visa and travelling expenses or cost of living. Studying law can be demanding on your finances so save your money, you’ll always need the extra cash.
· ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: At first glance the list above might look intimidating but on closer observation, the requirements are actually pretty straightforward and simple, In the US, law is a second degree program meaning you have to bag a first degree in another discipline before you can be eligible to study law. After that, you’ll have to pass the LSAT to gain admission into an ABA approved US law school. In the UK, you are mandated to complete an additional one year A-levels study before you can be eligible to study law in the UK.
· BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF NIGERIAN LAW: every legal jurisdiction will fashion their educational system to meet the requirements of the legal system of such country. Studying In Nigeria gives you an edge in the Nigerian Law School and you do not have to partake in the bar one session which is mandatory for all students that bagged their law degree outside Nigeria. In practice, you do not have to start acclimatizing yourself with the legal system of Nigeria as you’ve been in it all through your University days.
· THE ORDEALS WILL PREPARE YOU FOR COMPETENCE IN PRACTICE: studying in Nigeria is rigorous; studying law in Nigeria is more rigorous and guess what practicing law in Nigeria is even more rigorous. The rigors and stress The Council of Legal Education puts you through as an aspirant to the bar eventually pays off in practice.
· NETWORK OF COLLEAGUES: we can’t underestimate the importance of having a network in any given profession. Studying law in Nigeria opens you to such Networks in the Legal Profession as over the years you would have gathered a database of colleagues (senior and junior) who would be practicing lawyers or aspirants to the Bar. The community of Nigerian trained lawyers in Nigeria is very large and you might want to hitch yourself on that wagon.
Study Local Portals is at the forefront of higher education marketing, recruitment, and student enrolment. We strive to be a reliable solutions specialist to our partner institutions and to remain a premier resource for student recruitment and marketing management needs. We work directly with the institutions to help guide you through the admission processes and ensure it runs seamlessly.